To begin our celebration of summer (my husband Josh is a teacher, so summer is indeed a celebration), we are going on a mini-vacation/hunting trip. This was sort of a last-minute decision, so we had very minimal funds in the budget to make this happen… But Josh was determined that he would get us a hog, and I’m not one to discourage free bacon, so we made a way in our budget.
For the entire trip, including gas, we budgeted $150. This is for a two and a half day stay at a friend’s ranch that is three hours away. We are only providing one meal and our stay at the ranch will be worked off by my husband 😉
I needed to make a grocery run because we are providing breakfast on one of the days. Also, I don’t believe in traveling with cloth diapers and frozen baby food (been there, done that, not doing it again), so I needed to pick up some of those things to make life simple. Take a look at what I got for just $35!
- 4 loaves honey wheat bread at 67 cents per loaf (reg. $1.67)
- Pillsbury cinnamon rolls $2 each (not on sale)
- Sweet Home Farms granola $4.47
- HEB Vanilla Greek Yogurt FREE with granola purchase (reg. $3.98)
- Hill Country Fare 42-pack disposable diapers $4.98
- HEB coffee $2.68
- HEB digestive cookies FREE with coffee purchase (reg. $1.98)
- HEB baby puffs $1.56 each
- Gerber natural baby food $1.08 per 2-pack (not on sale)
- 2.77 lbs bananas at 48 cents per pound
- 1.5 lb bacon $8.78
- HEB ready made sausage and biscuits FREE with bacon purchase (reg. $2.98)
With coupons and store-brand savings, I saved $19.82. That means I got $55.51 worth of groceries for $35.69!!
Using $36 of our budget for groceries for the weekend means we still have $114 for gas and enjoying ourselves while we are gone. Feeling pretty good about that.